logo

Culture by Nature

Cuore verde tra due laghi
Do Not Miss
Cuore verde tra due laghi

Villas on Lake Orta

Orta San Giulio

Mansion of the Coastal Community
Orta San Giulio

The building, which served as the seat of the General Council for the small Orta Coast Republic for a long time, was built in 1582 in what is known today as the Piazza Motta (Motta Square). Its architectural style is typical of the ancient municipal buildings: on the ground floor the arcade with granite columns, on the top floor a large hall. The façade’s striking, well-preserved frescoes were created after the original building.

Penotti-Ubertini Palace
Orta San Giulio

The Penotti-Ubertini Palace sits in the center of Orta San Giulio, to the left of the Motta ascent. The Palace features an imposing façade and the main building includes two balconies and a large front door through which carriages and horses once passed. The building was constructed by the will of Paolo Gemelli; its construction began in the first years of the eighteenth century and was completed in 1747. The palace was never sold, but rather inherited by the Penotti, a family of notaries from the coast of Lake Orta. It later passed to the Ubertini family, who still own it today.

Crespi Villa
Orta San Giulio

The Crespi Villa was built in 1879. It is a splendid residence situated at the entrance to the town of Orta San Giulio and inspired by the travels of Cristoforo Benigno Crespi, a successful cotton merchant who was enchanted by the exotic charm of Baghdad. The Villa was built in the Moorish style and is overlooked by an imposing minaret. During the 30s, it became a place where poets, princesses, and King Umberto of Savoy liked to stop and visit. After a few years as a center for spirituality, the end of the 80s saw the Villa transformed into an exclusive hotel.