Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul
The church is located to the right of the communal palace, on a small hill and up a cobblestone stairway. Around the church courtyard runs the Way of the Cross in the Chapel, on which construction began in 1755; these shrines belong to the architectural typology “a pilone”, which includes a brick covered by sloping stone slabs, with a niche on which a painted representation of one of the Stations of the Cross hangs.
The paintings, passed down through Giovanni Battista Cantalupi (1732-1780), are unfortunately not very easy to make out. The two chapel-ossuaries that line the cobblestone path up the hill depict death with skeletons and sayings and were used primarily in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries as a symbol of hope for the resurrection of the flesh. Construction of the bell tower began in 1662.
The church was originally built in the Medieval era (thirteenth century), but significant restoration and reconstruction efforts changed it completely between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. There are three naves and a grand entry porch inside the church. The many side chapels that open off the side pews are from the Baroque era. The Chapel of Saint Vincent, originally named after the Holy Spirit, has housed the mortal remains of the saint for which it is named since 1696, when they were moved from Novara to Invorio. The only shrine preserved in its original form is the chapel of the Madonna of the Rosary, located off the south nave near the primary altar. In 1583, a chapel entrusted to the Company of the Rosary was erected on the altar dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. The Company saw to its immediate decoration: wonderful seventeenth century stuccos cover the vaults and walls, and its 15 copper tables are covered with depictions of the Mysteries of the Rosary.
This iconographic schematic is typical of the Seventeenth Century: in the center is a wooden statue of the Madonna holding the Baby Jesus, who hands over the crown to Saint Dominic while also holding out his hand to Saint Catherine; the two saints are painted on the table. The paintings date back to the middle of the seventeenth century and show influences from Morazzone and Cerano, among other top artists of the Borromaic age. To complete the internal furnishings, an organ constructed in 1875 by the Scolari brothers from Bolzano, famous all over Navaro, was added to the church. The pecularity of this particular organ lies in the positioning of its second keyboard; its 45 divided, resounding registers; and in the addition of band-orchestral accessories.
The organ-maker, Carlo Scolari, played this organ until the age of 86.
Open Saturday from 2:00 P.M. - 7:00 P.M. and Sunday from 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 noon