Parish Church of Saint George
We advise those arriving in Nebbiuno to leave their cars in the parking lot in front of the Pro Loco office, next to the sports center; during the many events that take place there, when the small piazza becomes a busy hub of touristic activity, a shuttle service provides transportation to a variety of connected areas. From this piazza is it possible to reach the Parish Church of Saint George by foot.
The church is located in the heart of the village, in front of the town hall; even near to this hub of activity, a part of the building overlooks an unexpectedly panoramic terrace, with an enchanting glimpse of the Lago Maggiore (Great Lake). The nurseries that are so common in this region are visible from the first floor, signaling a rich culture of flower growing, including most all of the Acidophilic varieties. The dedication of this church to Saint George is clearly connected to the ancient Lombard colonization, a fact further confirmed by archaeological findings.
Saint George is depicted killing the dragon of the classic Christian iconography, but in an interesting modern mosaic, dated 1969. The structure originally contained only one room; its side naves were added during an eighteenth century expansion. The present bell you see today went up in 1775.
The many eighteenth century repairs and updates to the structure of the church are quite obvious; the repairs, especially those inside the church, create a rich, opulent look typical of the late Baroque era. The splendid altar in the Chapel of the Our Lady of the Rosary safeguards a wooden statue from this era, framed by round depictions of the 15 Mysteries of the Rosary.
Open every day from 8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Parking available in the front.