Church of Saint Eusebius
From the Vittorio square you can look out over the Town Hall building and the Parish Church dedicated to Saint Eusebius, the first Vercelli bishop, and to the Maccabee saints, who were seven martyr brothers from ancient Judaea. Originally quite small, the church has undergone continuous expansions; the first noteworthy one cited by various sources came in 1567, when Carlo Borromeo wanted for Pisano to declare its independence from Nebbiuno and for the church to become a parish church. A second upgrade began in the beginning of the seventeenth century. Today the parish church includes many Baroque structures including a portico added in 1767, which is made up of a compartment in the upper part and an organ in the lower, and precedes the façade. A seventeenth century fresco depicting the three Theological Virtues was recently restored.
The inside of the church is designed as a Latin cross, with one main room and three side chapels. The first, to the left, houses the baptismal font; in the second, to the side of the wooden pulpit, is the altar dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary, whose simulacrum is placed next to the shrines dedicated to Saint Sebastian and Saint Roch; the third chapel is dedicated to the church’s patron saint, Saint Eusebius. During some recent excavations, the rest of the ancient oratory came to light under the entrance to the bell tower. Several burial places were found under the interior flooring as well. There are many decorations, dating back to various eras, that serve to beautify the church. Along the side walls, frescoes by Luigi Morgari include the Immaculate Conception and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The only trace of the medieval oratory visible from inside the church consists of an invaluable fresco fragment depicting female faces that may have been a part of an “Our Lady of Mercy” painting, an anonymous work of art from the first half of the fourteenth century that seems to take on the distinctive, innovative artistic language of the Oropa Master.
The altar was made from local marble in 1839. On its shoulders you can admire the fresco depicting Saint Eusebius, which was resurfaced during the most recent set of restorations. This work of art dates back to 1762. The saint wears a red cope that symbolizes martyrdom (compared to the green cope seen in another depiction of him, which hangs in the central nave and dates back to the beginning of the twentieth century; it was in fact in the nineteenth century when the saint’s martyrdom was officially denied). The vaults were decorated by Luigi Mazzucchelli from Vigevan between 1856 and 1859. The original natural lighting inside the church was modified with the addition of stained glass windows, installed on the side walls in 1930 at the behest of the professor Pivetti from Torino. These windows depict a lamb, a pelican, a sheep, Saint Eusebius, four evangelists, and two medallions which depict the faces of Saint Gaudentius, the bishop of Novara, and Saint Charles Borromeo, archbishop of Milan.